Job ID 86545
Job Type Full-time
Experience 5 Years
Industry Life Science
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing therapeutics from branched siRNA, a novel technology that provides specific, broad, and durable target knockdown within the brain, to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in the lives of patients suffering from grievous disease. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are a privately funded company located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
This position represents a unique opportunity for a talented chemist to join a dynamic medicinal chemistry team and have a significant impact on advancing our science and success of the company. In this important role, the candidate will be responsible for the design and synthesis of novel oligonucleotide modifications to advance Atalanta’s drug discovery programs, including base, sugar and backbone modifications. The successful candidate will have extensive experience with chemical synthesis, purification, and analytics, as well as demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated team on multiple parallel projects. This individual should have experience in the field of RNA therapeutics with hands on knowledge of chemical structure search tools, synthesis techniques, purification instrumentation, and analysis methods related to chemically modified nucleosides and oligonucleotides.
- Independently design and plan synthetic schemes for novel chemical nucleoside structures for the enhanced distribution and function of oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Responsible for the design and organic synthesis of compounds, and contribute to the discovery of novel chemical structures to improve siRNA potency and efficacy
- Execute efficient and safe chemical synthesis in a modern organic chemistry laboratory
- Operate and interpret data from NMR, LC-MS and HPLC
- Experience operating oligonucleotide synthesis equipment is preferred
- Participate in and contribute to cross disciplinary discussions to effectively innovate on Atalanta’s novel oligonucleotide platform
- Take a leadership role in maintaining all aspects of laboratory instrumentation and operations
- Excellent organization and record keeping skills are essential
- Ability to supervise associates and lead in a cross functional team environment
- A PhD in Chemistry, or related discipline, is required with a minimum of 5-10 plus years of academic or industrial post-doctoral experience
- Demonstrated experience with a wide array of synthetic techniques and chemical transformations
- Experience and knowledge of nucleoside and nucleotide chemical modifications in the context of siRNA and/or nucleic acid technologies is preferred
- Individuals with experience solving difficult chemical challenges through the development of novel synthetic transformations will receive special consideration
- Experience supervising or mentoring scientific staff is highly desirable
- Conference presentations and publishing in peer reviewed journals is expected
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.