Job Type Full-time
Senior Researcher – Biology
£40,016 – £46,643
The Senior Researcher will be crucial in supporting the NATA Biology Team by leading new multidisciplinary projects to accelerate the development of nucleic acid therapeutics by employing existing and novel approaches to validate lead therapies. You will be involved in the design, development and validation of new cellular tools for nucleic acid delivery and toxicity assessment, including 3D models and stem cell-derived lines.
Furthermore, you will be involved in the application of in vivo pre-clinical testing of nucleic acid therapeutics, including the investigation of novel targeting methods across a range of organ systems. You will manage research programmes including national and international collaborative projects with academia and industry. You will report to the Head of Biology.
Key Responsibilities include
- Serve as a project leader to optimize current nucleic acid therapeutic platforms both in vitro and in vivo
- Develop and validate new cell models for nucleic acid delivery and efficacy assessment
- Design and deliver assays for understanding the mechanism of toxicity of agents for biomarker development and application and for de-risking therapeutic candidates
- Data integration and analysis from a range of modalities (e.g. transcriptomics / proteomics / cellular imaging / tissue imaging) related to nucleic acid delivery
- Perform literature reviews, design experiments, analyse data and write reports
- Provide regular updates on project status with the Head of Biology and Senior Management Team
- Present research data internally and externally including partner meetings and scientific conferences
- Supervise and direct R&D activities with contract research organizations
- Keep secure well-organized and contemporaneous scientific records
- Write and submit manuscripts for publication with the Head of Department, assist with writing patents
- Maintain a good knowledge of the relevant literature and of the wider field
- Work effectively with collaborators
- Support Junior Scientists and Research Assistants
- Hold a relevant Ph.D/D.Phil in biology, genetics, pharmacology, toxicology or related discipline
- Significant postdoctoral experience
- Experience with conventional and advanced cellular assay approaches with immortalised and primary cell lines. Experience with stem cell-derived differentiation and 3D cell culture highly desirable
- Essential laboratory skills include tissue culture, RNA and protein analysis, fluorescence and confocal microscopy and flow cytometry
- Experience and ability to develop and characterize cellular and pre-clinical disease models
- Experience with organ systems in addition to liver such as cardiovascular, GI, immune, CNS
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer-reviewed first-author publications, patent applications and presentations at major conferences
- Strong scientific creativity and leadership to independently design and lead the research project, and problem-solving skills to overcome the scientific challenges
- Experience and knowledge of data analysis and interpretation including statistical methods
- Experience of managing interdisciplinary projects, with demonstrable project management skills
- Excellent communication skills for data presentation both in in-house and external meetings
We are offering a whole host of family friendly benefits including; 30 days holiday (plus bank-holidays), an excellent pension scheme, shopping/travel discounts, and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work/life balance!
How to apply:
For full details, please click apply.
The NATA is a research institute within MRC part of UK Research and Innovation. UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, for more information: www.ukri.org
The closing date for applications is 13th February 2021.
Other jobs you may like
- @ Cornell University, Weill Cornell Medicine
- New York, United States, 1300 York Avenue, Box 70, New York, NY 10065