Job ID 89140
Job Type Full-time
Experience 8 Years +
Industry Life Science
If you want to be part of a collaborative and focused team with a mission to build GSK’s new therapeutic oligo platform, please apply! We are seeking an experienced Head of Oligo Platform Chemistry to lead the chemistry efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to build a capability and team from the ground up within GSK’s Medicines Design organization.
The successful candidate will lead GSK’s RNA therapeutic chemical design strategy, exploration of new oligo chemistries and its implementation in drug discovery programs. You will be responsible for establishing the strategy, infrastructure, and internal capability to realize GSK’s future RNA therapeutic ambitions. This role requires in-depth knowledge therapeutic oligonucleotide drug development from Target Validation through to pre-clinical development.
The responsibilities for this role are the following:
- Leading the oligo chemistry team and working effectively within cross-functional discovery and development organizations, to advance the preclinical portfolio.
- Provide scientific leadership for the design and synthesis of oligonucleotides and oligonucleotide bioconjugates, as well as analysis of structure-activity relationships.
- Lead the efforts to develop and enable new oligonucleotide chemistries in collaboration with the medicinal chemistry and CMC organizations.
- Lead the exploration of novel delivery platforms for effective delivery of RNA/oligonucleotides using innovative bioconjugation strategies. Conceive and execute scientific strategies for extrahepatic delivery platforms.
- Accountable for understanding the external landscape for therapeutics oligonucleotides as well as competitor approaches to oligonucleotide discovery and development.
- Initiate and lead the evaluation of external and internal capabilities and facilitate collaborations with external partners.
- Manage, coach, and develop a high performing team and building an oligo chemistry capability in GSK.
- Strong organizational leadership skills with a proven track record in setting vision/strategy and managing team execution to achieve key company milestones.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Chemistry, Bioorganic Chemistry, or related field with 10+ years of experience in oligonucleotide therapeutics or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with modern methods in synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on nucleosides, nucleotides and oligonucleotide synthesis, along with purification and analytical characterization as applied to nucleic acid therapeutics.
- Experience with oligonucleotide conjugation chemistries.
- People leadership experience of large teams, including training, developing, and managing talent.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Working knowledge of RNA biology and oligonucleotide screening technologies to facilitate effective team collaboration.
- Strong organic chemistry expertise with excellent track record of solving synthetic challenges
- Strong scientific and analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to multitask efficiently, prioritize quickly and bring projects to conclusion.
- Ability to matrix with a team of multi-discipline experts including biology, chemistry, safety assessment, computational sciences, clinical scientists, translational scientists, and others.
- Demonstrated effective communication and negotiation skills for a wide variety of audiences, including laboratory analysts and senior management.
- Proven ability to build, motivate and inspire high performing teams, as well as effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills, including ability to set, prioritize and achieve research goals.
- Solid strategic thinking and excellent communication skills for developing/articulating program strategy, risk mitigation plans, and milestones.