Antisense Oligonucleotides- Mechanisms of Action and Rational Design
Presenter: Robert MacLeod (Ionis Pharmaceuticals)
Date: February 26, 2020
Recording of the webinar: Click play to view
- Inhibition of Rous sarcoma viral RNA translation by a specific oligodeoxyribonucleotide.
Stephenson ML, Zamecnik PC.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1978 Jan;75(1):285-8.
- Crystal structure and improved antisense properties of 2′-O-(2-methoxyethyl)-RNA.
Teplova M, Minasov G, Tereshko V, Inamati GB, Cook PD, Manoharan M, Egli M.
Nat Struct Biol. 1999 Jun;6(6):535-9.
- Crooke, S. (2007). Antisense drug technology. 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
In particular chapter 10:
Pharmacological Properties of 2-O-Methoxyethyl-Modified Oligonucleotides
- Factor XI antisense oligonucleotide for prevention of venous thrombosis.
Büller HR, Bethune C, Bhanot S, Gailani D, Monia BP, Raskob GE, Segers A, Verhamme P, Weitz JI; FXI-ASO TKA Investigators.
N Engl J Med. 2015 Jan 15;372(3):232-40.
- Targeting APOC3 in the familial chylomicronemia syndrome.
Gaudet D, Brisson D, Tremblay K, Alexander VJ, Singleton W, Hughes SG, Geary RS, Baker BF, Graham MJ, Crooke RM, Witztum JL.
N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 4;371(23):2200-6.
- Treatment of infantile-onset spinal muscular atrophy with nusinersen: a phase 2, open-label, dose-escalation study.
Finkel RS, Chiriboga CA, Vajsar J, Day JW, Montes J, De Vivo DC, Yamashita M, Rigo F, Hung G, Schneider E, Norris DA, Xia S, Bennett CF, Bishop KM.
Lancet. 2016 Dec 17;388(10063):3017-3026.
- AZD9150, a next-generation antisense oligonucleotide inhibitor of STAT3 with early evidence of clinical activity in lymphoma and lung cancer.
Hong D, Kurzrock R, Kim Y, Woessner R, Younes A, Nemunaitis J, Fowler N, Zhou T, Schmidt J, Jo M, Lee SJ, Yamashita M, Hughes SG, Fayad L, Piha-Paul S, Nadella MV, Mohseni M, Lawson D, Reimer C, Blakey DC, Xiao X, Hsu J, Revenko A, Monia BP, MacLeod AR.
Sci Transl Med. 2015 Nov 18;7(314):314ra185.
- Intracellular site of asialoglycoprotein receptor-ligand uncoupling: double-label immunoelectron microscopy during receptor-mediated endocytosis.
Geuze HJ, Slot JW, Strous GJ, Lodish HF, Schwartz AL.
Cell. 1983 Jan;32(1):277-87.
- The asialoglycoprotein receptor: a model for endocytic transport receptors.
Biochemistry. 1990 Oct 30;29(43):10009-18.
Dr. MacLeod is currently the Vice President Oncology Research and Development, and Franchise Head at Ionis Pharmaceuticals and has contributed to the discovery and development of clinical drug candidates in the several therapeutic areas including, oncology, thrombosis, inflammatory and muscle diseases. Prior to joining Ionis Dr. MacLeod held positions at Takeda Pharmaceuticals and was a founding scientist of MethylGene Inc. (now Mirati Therapeutics), where he directed the efforts of multidisciplinary drug discovery teams that identified several novel experimental therapeutics. Dr. MacLeod obtained his undergraduate degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry from Concordia University in Montreal and his doctoral degree from McGill University.