Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship
The Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship supports outstanding new scientists and recognizes their contributions in the field of oligonucleotide therapeutics. OTS created the Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship in 2011 as a tribute to his life and work. Dr. Gewirtz was very influential in the field of oligonucleotides as well as in the establishment of the OTS. His passing in November 2010 inspired the society to create the scholarship in his honor.
Congratulations to the 2015 Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Jana McCaskill, PhD
University of Edinburgh
Jana received her PhD in 2014, working with Nigel McMillan at the University of Queensland Diamantina Institute (Australia). Her doctoral work focused on the development and systemic liposomal delivery of respiratory syncytial virus and Hendra virus targeted siRNAs. Jana subsequently joined Amy Buck’s lab at the University of Edinburgh, Centre for Immunity, Infection and Evolution (UK) for postdoctoral studies investigating broad-spectrum host-targeted antiviral miRNAs for the treatment of respiratory viral infections. Her work here has ranged from RNA chemistry modifications, screening and investigating mechanism of action, to optimization of pulmonary miRNA delivery and preclinical testing.
2016 Application Deadline: TBA
The recipient receives:
• $2,000 award
• Complimentary registration to the OTS Annual Meeting
• Formal award presentation at the OTS Annual Meeting
• Short talk speaking slot at the OTS Annual Meeting
• Be a current member of OTS
• Be a current graduate student, post doctorate, or post-doctoral fellow
• Be active in research at the time the award is given
• Attend the current year's Annual Meeting and present a 15 minute short talk on his or her research
• Prior winners are not eligible
Application: Required materials include:
• Applicant's current contact information and affiliation
• Summary of accomplishments (one page or less)
• One letter of recommendation from a current or previous supervisor
• Current CV
A letter of recommendation, preferably from the nominee’s previous mentor(s).
To apply, ensure your OTS membership is up to date and forward the above-listed materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, ensure your OTS membership
is up to date and forward the above-listed materials to email@example.com
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Scholarship Recipients
2014: Dale Guenther, University of Idaho
2013: Guizhi Zhu, PhD, University of Florida
2012: Christopher J. Cheng, PhD, Yale University
2011: Aurelie Goyenvalle, PhD, University of Oxford