The Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship supports outstanding new scientists and recognizes their contributions in the field of oligonucleotide therapeutics. OTS created the Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship in 2011 as a tribute to his life and work. Dr. Gewirtz was very influential in the field of oligonucleotides as well as in the establishment of the OTS. His passing in November 2010 inspired the society to create the scholarship in his honor.
The 2015 Dr. Alan M. Gewirtz Memorial Scholarship is generously supported by the following individual OTS members: Masad Damha, Petra Disterer, Steven Dowdy, Rudy Juliano, Art Krieg, Paul Lammers, Marc Lemaitre, Thomas Rupp, and Gerald Zon.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2014: Dale Guenther, University of Idaho
2013: Guizhi Zhu, PhD, University of Florida
2012: Christopher J. Cheng, PhD, Yale University
2011: Aurelie Goyenvalle, PhD, University of Oxford
2015 Application Deadline: July 20, 2015
Please note that the deadline for 2015 applications has passed. Applicants will be notified of their status by late August.
The recipient receives:
- $2,000 award
- Complimentary registration to the OTS Annual Meeting
- Formal award presentation at the OTS Annual Meeting
- Short talk speaking slot at the OTS Annual Meeting
- Be a current member of OTS
- Be a current graduate student, post doctorate, or post-doctoral fellow
- Be active in research at the time the award is given
- Attend the current year’s Annual Meeting and present a 15 minute short talk on his or her research
- Prior winners are not eligible
Required materials include:
- Applicant’s current contact information and affiliation
- Summary of accomplishments (one page or less)
- One letter of recommendation from a current or previous supervisor
- Current CV
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.